Friday, June 18, 2010

BIKE RIDING 101

In March the kids were so anxious to get outside and play, and I was more than ready to take them outside and let them burn some energy. What better way then to ride bikes!!



Notice the bike helmets. My children even though we live out in the sticks "always" well at least as often as I'm around wear their helmets. "Why" you ask? We were out riding bikes, ( the kids ride I speed walk) when they got a ways out in front of me. Not to far a head of them there was a hill. Being March there weren't any tractors out, or any orchard traffic so i wasn't worried about that but there is a hill, and neither of my kids had a lot of control on their bikes. I started yelling for them to stop and wait for me before the hill. They didn't even slow down, so I started running, and I was about 30 weeks pregnant and to big to catch them. I was fast enough to catch Payton just as he was starting down the hill, but Jenna was about half way down going really fast and out of control. I watched her cross the dirt road at the bottom, go up the ditch bank hit a bump. When she hit the bump her bike stopped instantly, and she proceeded to fly over the handle bars. She landed in a huge group of weeds inches from a barb wire fence. She sat up laughing while I stood there praying that she wouldn't break anything. She walked away with a scratch on her cheek. Catastrophe avoided!

However, she had a Dr's appt. that same week. Her Dr. is a great pediatrician, I work with him, and he was in our ward at church when we lived in Wenatchee. He noticed her scratch and asked her how she got it. She proceeded to tell him the whole story. He enthusiastically listened, and when she finished he asked her if she had been wearing her helmet. To which she replied "NO". He looks at me and says, "she needs to wear her helmet at all times." I know, that she could have cracked her head open, and I really don't want to bring one of them in needing stitches or worse and confess to no helmet. So, from now on we will wear helmets at my house!




No comments: